1. Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions, then drain them and place to one side.
2. Put the chicken in a bowl with the sugar, mirin, garlic, soy sauce and ginger to marinate. Place to one side.
3. Heat the stock in a large saucepan. Add 1 teaspoon of salt, the lime leaf, lemon grass, galangal and shitake mushrooms. Simmer on a gentle heat for 10 minutes.
4. Add the creamed coconut, cabbage and soy sauce, then check the seasoning – you may need more salt. Simmer for 2 minutes, then add the noodles, coriander and spring onions. Remove from the heat. You can reheat this if you are not going to eat immediately.
5. Cook the chicken just before serving. Heat the sesame oil in a small frying pan, then fry the chicken, in small batches, for 2 minutes over a high heat. Serve the noodles with a couple of spoonfuls of chicken on top of each serving.